Vegan Crab Cakes
Ingredients (use vegan versions):
7 slices whole wheat bread, broken into large pieces
3/4 cup minced celery
3/4 cup white onion, chopped
1/2 cup minced carrot
1 small green pepper, minced
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1/2 cup canola oil (or other veg oil)
1 teaspoon salt
16 ounces firm, regular tofu, pressed (I like vacuum sealed White Wave)
2 tablespoon Old Bay seasoning
3/4 cup eggless vegan mayonnaise
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a food processor or blender, whirl vegan bread pieces into fine crumbs. Place on a baking sheet and toast in the oven for 8 to 10 minutes, or until dired and toasty. Remove from oven and set aside.
2. Brush a skillet with oil and cook celery, onion, carrot, pepper and parsley until softened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. Pulse tofu in food processor to a cottage cheese consistency, being careful not to puree it. In a large bowl, combine tofu, sauteed vegetable mixture, 1/2 cup vegan breadcrumbs, mayonnaise and seasoning. Mix well.
4. Using about 1/3 cup for each, form mixture into 10 patties about 3 inch across and 1/2 inch thick. Coat each patty with remaining vegan bread crumbs to cover.
5. Place patties on a sprayed or nonstick baking sheet and spray tops lightly with cooking spray. Bake 15 minutes. Carefully turn cakes over and return to the oven to bake until second side is toasty and browned, about 10 minutes. Makes 10 cakes.
Preparation time: 1/2 hour
Please leave a comment below & share with your friends. All comments await my moderation.Tweet