Apple, Walnut, and Mixed Greens Salad with Zinfandel-Cranberry Vinaigrette is another Cooking Light recipe I’ve had on file for quite a while. I love the crunch of apple & walnut in a salad!
Tossing the cubed apples with lemon juice will help keep them from turning brown. If you prefer sharper onion flavor, use red onions.
- 1 cup sweetened dried cranberries (such as Craisins)
- 3/4 cup apple juice
- 1/2 cup zinfandel or other fruity dry red wine
- 1/2 cup cranberry juice cocktail
- 3 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon walnut oil
- 10 cup gourmet salad greens
- 3 cups cubed Gala apple (about 2 apples)
- 1 cup thinly sliced Walla Walla or other sweet onion (about 1 medium onion)
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
Combine cranberries and apple juice in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Remove from heat; let stand for 10 minutes. Drain cranberries; discard apple juice. Set cranberries aside.
Bring wine and cranberry juice to a boil in pan, and cook until reduced to 1/3 cup (about 8 minutes). Pour wine mixture into a medium bowl; add shallots, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Gradually add oil, stirring with a whisk.
Combine cranberries, greens, apple, and onion in a large bowl. Drizzle dressing over salad; toss gently to coat. Sprinkle with toasted walnuts.
Yield: 10 servings (serving size: about 1 1/3 cups salad and about 1 1/2 teaspoons walnuts)
CALORIES 140(28% from fat); FAT 4.4g (sat 0.4g,mono 0.7g,poly 2.8g); PROTEIN 2.7g; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 58mg; SODIUM 146mg; FIBER 4.3g; IRON 1.7mg; CARBOHYDRATE 25.2g
Please leave a comment below & share with your friends. All comments await my moderation.Tweet