Baby Boy’s bedroom wall art | phase 1

I never thought finding a theme for our baby’s room would be so daunting.  I thought we’d be at the baby store and the “right set” would just jump out at us. It didn’t.

I thought about how picking a particular set (puppy dogs, for instance) will be a theme we’d have to stick with for a while.

After being discouraged with the choices at Babies R US, Target, Pottery Barn and doing exhaustive online browsing, we took a step back – what exactly are we looking for?

  • colors: blue & green
  • Chris likes Winnie the Pooh
  • he doesn’t like yellow
  • I like modern shapes/designs, then you can interchange all kinds of decor
  • we don’t like dust ruffles
  • we’ve read bumpers really aren’t necessary with the type of crib we have
  • we both tend to error on the side of keeping decor simple (less is more, right?)
  • I like artsy/homemade/organic art (surprise)
  • Chris likes our existing wall art because I either made it or took the picture

So we decided to purchase these organic bed sheets and use them as color inspiration for the rest of Baby Boy’s bedroom. The green one is fern green and the blue one is mineral blue.

Chris already mentioned doing some sort of gallery wraps on Baby Boy’s wall – so I came up with this idea of making six panels, with completely different fabrics in all complementary shades of green and blue.

Here’s what I came up with!

  • six fabrics (1/2 bold, 1/2 less bold): I purchased 3/4 a yard of each, which was around $3 each color. I wanted a little extra for future projects.
  • six gallery wraps (found at Hobby Lobby in 2 packs that were $8 a pack): I purchased 16×20 gallery wraps that are fairly thin
  • fluffy batting: I purchased about 4 yards (which left me with extra, but that’s ok, I’ll use it in the future)
  • already had a staple gun
  • hanging brackets were $4
  • already had small hanging nails

All together, this project was less than $50. 🙂

Testing out the general idea…
They will go on this wall:
Time to break out that hot thing (an iron) and ironing board.
Fabric, puffy batting, then a gallery wrap canvas:
handy-dandy staple gun
the edge of the first panel
the back, showing the staples
ta-da! 1st panel: complete
2nd panel (the staple gun stopped working at this point, so I trimmed all of the fabric to fit and waited for Chris to get home to look at it)
after stapling all of the panels
here’s how we’ll hang them… they don’t have hangers on the back yet: that’s phase 2. Over all, we are happy with the result! He can use these in his big boy room, too. And when we are completely tired of the fabric, we’ll have six nice 16×20 gallery wraps to paint or recover. 🙂

Feel free to comment below. I’d love to know how you would hang them. We want to avoid them tipping from side to side – considering a hanging wire, hanging brackets… hmmm.

Please leave a comment below & share with your friends. All comments await my moderation.

You might also like:

Amanda - June 30, 2010 - 4:23 pm

I am excited to see them up on the wall!! 🙂

Your email is never published or shared. Required fields are marked *

*

*

Back to Top Share on Facebook Tweet this Post Email to a Friend Pin It!